Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Blue Period

Have you not felt like yourself?Like you didnt know who you were? Like a failure?Like life is passing you by? I felt that way for a few months, I'm not sure if it was due to tackling the adventure of a new job, my parents moving miles away, the idea of turning 30 or all of the above. I am thrilled to say that I have slowly, but surely moved past that feeling and am starting to feel more and more like my old, goofy self.

During what I labeled my "Blue Period," I did quite a lot of research on the artist Pablo Picasso. From 1901 to 1904, Picasso's most notable paintings were monochromatic shades of blue and blue-green. History books noted that he began to paint in those shades after the suicide of a close friend.His subjects were mainly prostitutes, beggars and drunks, people down on their luck and seeing the glass as half empty.

What I remember most vividly during my blue period was the thought that there is always tomorrow. I knew I did not feel like myself nor did I have the bandwidth to do anything aside from going to work, I knew that one day my mood would change, that life would go back to what I knew it to be.

On that note, I leave you to view Picasso's painting of the Absinthe Drinker and with snippets of a lullaby that one of my very favorite singers, Tori Amos sang to her little girl. I was blessed to hear Tori sing this song live at a New York Times Talk  event that was to take place one day after September 11,2001 and was then moved to January. At the time, I didn't understand the lullaby, I live my life with a smile and a laugh and hadn't endured true sorrow.  Snippets of that song became my saving grace when I didn't feel exactly like my self.

"Oh my sweet, sweet little angel girl. The sweetest girl that I have ever known, the sweetest of mommylove. The sweet little angel dove... Sorrow has the prettiest little laugh, sorrow is a pretty good friend to have...she said take my blue dress, give it to happiness, it matches the color of her eyes, it matches the color of her eyes at midnight..

No comments:

Post a Comment